Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Hard to starve in the City of Light

I've been traveling for a week. Started in London, with meetings and catching up with friends. While staying on the diet was tricky in the midst of business dinners, dinner with friends and baby shower cakes, that part of the trip was relatively easy... there was always a banana or a fresh tuna-and-spinach-with-no-mayo half sandwich to be grabbed at a fast-food diner and save the day... Alas, I even survived a meal at an Argentine restaurant!! (thanks to Kei who quickly took care of the bigger half of my steak, the chef who grilled vegetables and my strength to resist a dulce de leche dessert).

Paris, however, is a different story... It's impossible to find a banana unless it's been wrapped in a crepe. The lightest sandwich you can get is a jambon cru baguette. And the eggwhites omelette I asked for this morning(after negotiating that indeed I did not want yolks in it) came sizzling as a sunny side up and dripping oil everywhere.

After all that care and avoidance of yummy foods, disaster stroke today: hunger is back. That means that I've crossed the 800-calorie barrier and the carefully-groomed acidosis is gone. AAAARRRRGGHHHHHH!

The only satisfaction to counter my growling stomach was shopping in the Marais all afternoon. Trying on clothes and having to go a size smaller than my eyeballing dictated somehow made the hunger less intense.

I just had Actimel and a liter of water for dinner and will stick to it for breakfast tomorrow. With a bit of luck and staying away from restaurants, the starvation routine will settle in again.

I count the hours until I get reunited with Kumar's home cooking...

No comments: