Saturday, June 23, 2007

Was Kafka Japanese?

I thought Franz Kafka lived and died in Prague. But the more I think about it, the more I believe he must have have found inspiration in Japan... Maybe he was indeed Japanese in a previous reincarnation and had the wit to laugh at his own people when he came back to Earth as a Czech?

This is a slightly edited version of a note I received from my colleague Kate (who is American) quoting her colleague T-san (who is Japanese). Only the names of people and organizations have been changed to protect their identities ;-) Otherwise, I'm just pasting Kate's note verbatim.

Writes Kate: "ABC wanted us to get some words from a ZZZ owner--not a bad idea of course, but...

T-san's letter:

And the procedure is like this, as was informed to me by ABC:

A-san contacts B-san, from ABC Publicity Dept.
B-san will contact the President of ZZZ Owners Club
The President will introduce some suitable owner to B-san
Then B-san will contact the person
Then A-san will officially ask the person about the interview
Then YYY can contact and interview the person

See so many procedures are needed... "

(End of quotation from Kate)

It often feels like we are all trapped in Kafka's "The Trial". If I manage to escape, I may just become a renowned storyteller one day.

No comments: