This is what Golda Meir once said to a visiting diplomat...
I wonder whether the diplomat was Japanese? This is certainly the land of fake respect and humility and never-ending bowing and endless speeches which are completely meaningless. In other words - and entire country of diplomats.
A few weeks ago (while lying on the sand under the sun in Australia) I read the Catcher in the Rye. What a contrast... Holden Caulfield just cutting through the crap. And the Japanese not being able to function unless there's plenty of fluffy crap.
If it's crap-less, it's rude: "Why do you have to be so direct?" (comment from a Japanese person about a one-page summary of a 120-page report that I put together). "Because I can't condense 120 pages into one and keep the noise." "But do you have to put the key idea in the first sentence instead of in the middle of the paragraph?" "It would be impossible to get the key point if I did that." "But it's too direct to put it in front of executives." "That's exactly why we have to get the point across clearly." "But they'll think we are rude." "No, they'll think we are concise and respectful of their time." "Hmmmm..." And that's how we ended up with two versions of the one-pager: a concise one in English, and a fluffed-up one in Japanese. And then we went through several iterations of pre-reviews with the affected party (the one whose poor performance was being concisely reported) until all the substance had disappeared and only the humble noise remained.
Remember that scene in Lost in Translation where the art director for the Suntory ad screams and gesticulates for five minutes, and when he finally shuts up Bill Murray asks the interpreter what he said. And she says: "he said look at the camera."
That very much feels like my daily life. Only sometimes there's not even the conclusion that I should look at the camera.
But now that I ran into Golda Meir's quotation, I can smile to myself while the empty chattering and bowing goes on: "Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
No comments:
Post a Comment