A couple weeks ago we had to spend two mornings going back and forth between Hiroshima's ward office and immigration office to get our visas in Japan extended. (In case you hadn't heard, our assignments in Japan, which were supposed to end at the end of July, have been extended until the end of the year).
A lady from the relocation company (Meisei Planning) came with us, and as she shepherded Kumar and me from bureaucrat to bureaucrat and cab to cab though queues, forms, and fees, she carefully handed me every single receipt and reminded me not to lose them because if any were missing they would not be reimbursed in the TER.
I didn't lose them. I submitted the TER. Yesterday I got this note (the author's name disguised here):
" Silvina-san,
This is AAA from Meisei Planning. I was assigned to be the first checker of TERs submitted to HR.
I have received your TER for "visa renewal" (extension for period of stay) - thank you.
I would like to confirm with you that this TER will be handled as your expenses, since you have completed the expense report for both you and Kumar-san in one sheet with your signature and 6K number.
If you prefer to have this handled individually, we would like a separate expense report with Kumar-san's signature.
Also, taxi fares are not reimbursable unfortunately. Taxi fares can be reimbursed when you first go to the ward office and Immigration at the time of arrival in Japan, but it is not approved thereafter.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation."
I won't lose sleep over the taxi fares, but I'm puzzled... Given that it was all necessary travel from place to place to get the visas in order, this would be a no-brainer in any TER... In fact, this was a no-brainer when we did the exact same thing 3 years ago... "but not thereafter".
My time (and nerves) are too valuable to be wasted in an argument that reason and common sense could never win, so this is what I replied:
"AAA san,
Please handle as my expenses."
Today a response arrived:
"Silvina-san,
Thank you for your reply.
New total without taxi fares will be 21,480 yen, and it will be handled as your expenses.
(It was originally 25,120 yen)."
Some things in Japan I'll never miss... Even if I'll lose a good amount of blog material!
No comments:
Post a Comment