Friday, April 11, 2008

Cherry blossoms galore

Today I heard one of those Only-in-Japan stories.

Japan's mafia is the famously dangerous yakuza - which, for those who didn't know, is headquartered in Hiroshima, just blocks away from our home. Yakuza members' distinctive looks include very short hair, hip-hop clothing, bling accessories (like oversized gold chains) and - above all - tattoos. These tattoos are not the gang's identification mark like any LA gangster's. They are rather a sign of strength and courage (a bit unnecessary these days, when getting a tattoo is not nearly as painful as it used to be in the old times).

Anyway - I found out today that one of the most popular tattoos among yakuza members is.... guess what - no, not skulls. Not arrow-crossed hearts either. It is... cherry blossoms!!

Unfortunately, Yakuza members' tattoos are normally not visible (all that pain to keep them covered - I know). Not having been able to get a picture of a cherry blossom tattoo to share, here's a live model that I photographed this past weekend.


More cherry blossom pictures from our multiple spring picnics under the cherry trees by the Hiroshima castle under the "2008 Ohanami" link on the right.

PS - Another popular tattoo are carp fish. And Buddha is a close follower. Whowoudavthunk?

No comments: