Thursday, August 02, 2007

Smoking saves lives

A few weeks ago, there was a terrible earthquake in Northern Japan. Several people died. But others were saved by luck -- or by smoking!

From a newspaper reporting the facts (thanks Lance for forwarding):

"In the city's center, entire rows of shops had collapsed, and a large karaoke entertainment center leaned precariously over a street. The owner of a photography shop, Akio Yoshino, 53, said the earthquake had been strong enough to scatter heavy glass display shelves across his store like "pieces spilled from a chess board."

"If I had not been outside having a cigarette just at that moment, I'd be dead now," he joked dryly, as his hands visibly shook. "Smoking saved my life."

I now understand why everyone smokes like chimneys in Japan... it's a prophylactic measure! (I am yet to find out in what way alcoholism and gambling at the local pachinko contribute to saving lives, but I'm sure it's not random).

No comments: