- 1989: joined a demonstration in Prague at the end of the Communist era, and 3 days later Vaclav Havel was president
- 1994: arrived in Mexico and a day later the Chiapas uprising took place
- 1996: stopped in Lima on my way to Cuzco and dozens of people were held hostage in an embassy for days
- 2001: went home to Buenos Aires over Christmas, and that week there were riots, a collapsed economy and 3 presidents in a week
Looks like my sixth sense is still going strong. I was in London for 3 days a couple of weeks ago, and on the 3rd day (during which I squeezed 3 hours to do shopping in Soho), there were two bombs in Piccadilly Circus -- just a couple of blocks from where I was shopping -- a few hours apart.
My Dad begs that I come visit Argentina soon, as the corruption and incompetency of the current administration needs to come to an end... So I have booked tickets home, but made sure to schedule a stop in the US on the way (who knows, maybe the son of a Bush will be finally impeached?)
Politicians and terrorists aside, the trip to London was great. I got a lot of work done, caught up with friends for dinner, shopped a bit and got a much-needed breath of fresh air to keep me going until the next trip abroad.
Here's a few oh-so-very-London snaps (taken with a pocket camera, so you'll have to forgive the quality):
Walking from the hotel to my meetings, I ran into this at St James's Park at 8:30 in the morning
And then this... chairs in the park waiting for people to rent them for two pounds on a Friday morning
Kei acting all Japanese at Kings Cross

Nik and his Vespa

Paddington Station at 6:00 am (bad picture, I know, but the place is stunning despite the visual butchering)
So, 3 days and 2 bombs later, I flew back to Japan's rainy season, with its gloomy skies and 100% humidity. Ah, life's tough!
No comments:
Post a Comment